Ipswich Meals on Wheels History
In 1956 Rhoda Cameron, wife of the Federal Health Minister, cooked three meals in her kitchen and delivered them in a thermos and enamel dish to three members of the community in need of a nutritious meal but unable to prepare their own.
These three meals were the foundation of Ipswich Meals on Wheels, the first service in Queensland.
In 1960 a committee was formed a premises were purchased in Foote Lane which housed Ipswich Senior Citizens and the Ipswich Meals on Wheels Kitchen.
Today, Meals on Wheels Ipswich delivers meals in hygienic disposable containers which can be provided for 7 days with deliveries of fresh meals Mon-Fri and frozen meals for weekends.
In 1984, operation moved to 9 South Street where Meals on Wheels shared a building with the South Street Club, an over 50’s Club which operated 4 days a week and managed the Lyndhurst Club, a day respite centre,that operated 1 day a week.
In July 2010 the South Street Club wound up and the management of The Lyndhurst Club came under the auspice of Ipswich Meals on Wheels.
With the advent of the NDIS the Lyndhurst Club transitioned to Lyndhurst Community Access Day Respite and helps their NDIS registered clients develop life skills through a range of community and centre based activities.
All services rely on the help of volunteers.